The theme of "Frontiers and Border Regions" could be dealt with respecting the following axes:
1. History of the border and border regions
- Middle Ages
- Modern Era
- Contemporary Period
2. Definition and types of boundaries
- Territorial boundaries
- Maritime borders
- Heavenly borders
- Natural borders
- Artificial borders
- Invisible borders
- "Material" (e.g. South Africa under apartheid) or "immaterial" internal border (e.g. China)
- Materialized borders: police stations, customs line, fortifications, walls)
3. Fixing the border
- Plebiscite ...
4. Border control
- Formalities of passage
- Police, gendarmes and other military, customs
- Outsourcing border control
5. Disputes and border disputes
- Land claims
- Borders and identity incompatibilities
- Espionage and sabotage
- Water management
- Military incursions
- War and violence
- Questions of refugees and the right of asylum
6. Economics of the border
- Landlocked properties in neighboring countries
- Legal exchanges and smuggling
- Free trade zones
- Frontiers and taxation
- Borders and frontier pioneers
- Border regions and pastoral activities (e.g. Africa)
7. Moving beyond the border
- Modern means of communication, satellites, internet, telecommunications, social networks, virtual museums
- Borders and public health
- International institutions and cooperation
- Territorial groupings
- Linguistic borders, isoglosses, transitional and cross-border languages ...
- Artistic borders, plastic arts, music
- Border regions and heritage (tangible and intangible)
- Border identities
- Theories of the global state and universal citizenship
- Frontiers and theology
- Borders and globalization
- Frontiers and migratory movements
-Front-line and free movement within sub-regional groups (e.g. ECOWAS) or supra-national "communities" (e.g. the European Union)
- The position of the border as one of openness and dynamism, or as a factor of isolation and stagnation
Language of the conference: Arabic, English, French, Spanish.
- June 30, 2018: Deadline for submitting proposals to the following email address:
- Participants will receive before July 10, 2018 responses to their proposals and information about the conference registration fees.
- Deadline for sending the Final Text: November 15, 2018
Rules for submitting proposals:
- Individual proposals: must be a new topic that has not already been published or presented at a scientific symposium.
- Proposal: Give a detailed summary: at least one page (font: Times New Roman 12; page margins 2.5 cm, single-spaced), with a detailed and up-to-date C.V.
- The proposals can be in Arabic, English, French, or Spanish.
- For abstracts in French or Spanish, a detailed English translation is mandatory (one page at a minimum; font: Times New Roman 12, page margins 2.5 cm, single-spaced).
- For summaries in Arabic, a detailed translation into English or French is mandatory (one page at a minimum: font: Times New Roman 12, page margins 2.5 cm, single-spaced).
- The conference proceedings will be published after evaluation by the Scientific Committee. Note: The full text of the conference's argument exists on the internet