Research assistant - 0.66 working time - salary grade E13 TV-L Berliner Hochschulen
Faculty I - Institute of History and Philosophy of Science, Technology, and Literature / ERC- project HRP-IAEA
DEADLINE: 30 March 2020
The ERC research program HRP-IAEA: Living with Radiation led by Prof. Maria Rentetzi and hosted by the Technical University in Berlin is presently looking for a research assistant with excellent qualifications.
The successful applicant is expected to explore IAEA's emerging role in regulating civilian applications of nuclear energy, and the tensions inherent in its activities. Relevant questions involve the IAEA's regulatory practices in competition and/or in collaboration with other institutions (i.e. the World Health Organization, the International Labor Office, and the International Commission on Radiological Protection) and the diplomatic practices that allowed the IAEA to undertake a significant role in radiation protection.
Link to the full call here https://stellenticket.de/75700/TUB/?lang=en
More info on the project here: https://iaeahistory.weebly.com/
Description of the project:
The HRP-IAEA addresses the following key question: how the International Atomic Energy Agency, a diplomatic and political international organization, came to dominate scientific institutions with a long tradition in radiation protection. In order to address this question the ERC research team is undertaking a series of case studies focusing on the IAEA's early technical assistance programs and its relations to other regulatory institutions. Our focus is on the kind of nuclear diplomacy the IAEA developed throughout the early years of its establishment.
The successful applicant is expected to:
- complete a doctoral dissertation in English based on his/her project research and contribute to publications
- perform archival research related to this topic and process archival data
- conduct interviews with key actors for his/her project
- contribute to administrative issues related to his/her own research (reporting, etc.)
- contribute to the dissemination activities of the project by posting to social media, the project's website etc.
- contribute to the cross-cutting research agenda of the project as a whole and to the HRP-IAEA's exhibition(s) on the history of radiation protection
- participate in international conferences and the project's events
Specific questions regarding the project may be addressed to Prof. Dr. Maria Rentetzi (email@example.com).
For more info on the overall scope of the project see https://iaeahistory.weebly.com/
- successfully completed university degree (Diplom, Master or equivalent) in international history, political sciences, history of science and medicine, science and technology studies, or other associated fields and indicate a strong interest in the Project
- prior experience of working in a team and of conducting archival research is essential
- computer skills are desirable
- excellent command of written and spoken English
- the successful applicant is required to reside in Berlin for the duration of the project
Please send your application with the reference number preferably by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should include in a single pdf file carrying your last name the following:
a brief cover letter explaining your research interests and your motivation to apply
a full curriculum vitae,
a research proposal (1500 words) that directly addresses this call.
a writing sample,
and two reference letters
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
In case you prefer to send a written application please use the following address: Technische Universität Berlin - Der Präsident - Fakultät I, Institut für Philosophie, Literatur-,Wissenschafts- und Technikgeschichte, Prof. Dr. Maria Rentetzi, ERC- Projekt HRP-IAEA, Sekr. H 23,Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin.
To ensure equal opportunities between women and men, applications by women with the required qualifications are explicitly desired. Qualified individuals with disabilities will be favored. The TU Berlin values the diversity of its members and is committed to the goals of equal opportunities. Please send copies only. Original documents will not be returned.