Verge: Studies in Global Asias invites proposals for special issue 10.2, which will be published in Fall 2024.
Verge: Studies in Global Asias showcases scholarship on “Asian” topics from across the humanities and humanistic social sciences, while recognizing that the changing scope of “Asia” as a concept and method is today an object of vital critical concern. Verge publishes works that engage with the ways in which “globalization” requires us to understand the past, present, and futures of Asia. In doing so, the journal not only provides a critical space to think through the productive relations and generative discontinuities between Asian studies, Asian American studies, and Asian Diaspora studies, but also emphasizes multidisciplinary engagement—a crossing and engagement of the disciplines that does not erase disciplinary differences but uses them to make possible new conversations and new models of critical engagement.
Proposals should contain the following information:
- A working title for the issue;
- An abstract/CFP that outlines the issue’s focus;
- A provisional sketch of how the issue might undertake the journal’s distinctive Convergence features;
- A brief outline of potential authors and essay topics (these are meant to help the editorial collective imagine the shape of the issue);
- A plan for how the special issue might connect to other academic projects (conference panels, symposia, etc.) or Global Asias Initiative programs; and
- The CVs of the guest editor(s).
Please note that all special issues of Verge have open CFPs. Given the GAI’s emphasis on reimagining the conditions of possibility animating scholarly research on Asia and its multiple diasporas and laying groundwork for sustainable and sustaining intellectual exchange across disciplinary, institutional, and field boundaries, proposals that reflect these goals and articulate paths towards accomplishing them will be viewed especially favorably.
Proposals are due by January 15, 2022. Please direct all inquiries and submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.